In December 2021, a new set of Field Research assignments and awards will be added to Pokemon Go, and Niantic has revealed that this month’s Research Breakthrough reward is none other than Deino!
Field Research was a significant update to the game in 2018, bringing new Pokémon Go objectives for users to complete.
Completing Pokémon Field Research jobs earns you unique gifts as part of Research Breakthroughs, while Special Research activities allow you to discover previously unseen Pokémon, such as the elusive Mythical Pokémon Mew.
Field research assignments and rewards change every month, but there are now numerous additions to that monthly cycle, with many unique events and limited features receiving their own Research quests.
Pokémon Go Field Research tasks & rewards (December 2021)
Catching Pokémon-related Field Research tasks
- Catch 5 Pokémon reward – Lillipup
- Catch 7 Pokémon reward – Magikarp
- Catch 5 different species of Pokémon reward – Minccino
- Catch 5 Pokémon with Weather Boost reward – Poliwag, Vulpix, Hippopotas or Snover
- Catch a Dragon-type Pokémon reward – Dratini or Bagon
- Catch 10 Grass-type Pokémon reward – 10 Venusaur Mega Energy
- Catch 10 Fire-type Pokémon reward – 10 Charizard Mega Energy
- Catch 10 Normal-type Pokémon reward – 10 Pidgeot Mega Energy
- Catch 10 Water-type Pokémon reward – 10 Blastoise Mega Energy
Buddy related Field Research tasks
- Earn 5 hearts with your buddy reward – Jigglypuff
- Earn 2 Candies walking with your buddy reward – Bunnelby
- Earn 3 Candies walking with your buddy reward – Meowth or Stunfisk
Poké Balls related Field Research tasks
- Make 5 Nice throws reward – Dunsparce
- Make 3 Great throws reward – Snubbull, Lileep or Anorith
- Make 3 Great throws in a row reward – Onix
- Make 5 Great Curveball throws in a row reward – Spinda (Form 3)
- Make 3 Curveball Throws in a row reward – Psyduck
- Make 3 Excellent Throws in a row reward – Gible
Egg related Field Research tasks
- Hatch an Egg reward – Mantine
- Hatch 2 Eggs reward – Beldum
- Hatch 3 Eggs reward – Alolan Vulpix
Battle related Field Research tasks
- Battle in Go Battle League reward – Swablu
- Defeat 3 Team Go Rocket Grunts reward – Onix
- Use 10 supereffective Charged Attacks reward – 20 Abomasnow Mega Energy
Raid related Field Research tasks
- Win a raid reward – Sneasel
- Win a Level 3 or higher Raid reward – Omanyte or Kabuto
- Win 5 Raids reward – Aerodactyl
Friend related Field Research tasks
- Send 10 Gifts to friends reward – Delibird
- Trade a Pokémon reward – Seadra
Miscellaneous Field Research tasks
- Evolve a Pokémon reward – Eevee
- Spin 3 PokéStops or Gyms reward – Sudowoodo
- Spin 5 PokéStops or Gyms reward – Ralts
- Use 5 Berries to help catch Pokémon reward – Foongus
- Take a snapshot of a wild Pokémon reward – Murkrow, Hoppip or Yanma
- Take 2 snapshots of a wild Ice-type Pokémon reward – Spheal
- Power up Pokémon 3 times reward – Bulbasaur, Charmander or Squirtle
- Power up Pokémon 5 times reward – Chikorita, Cyndaquil or Totodile encounters or 10 Venusaur, Charizard,Blastoise, Beedrill or Pidgeot Mega Energy
- Power up Pokémon 7 times reward – Mudkip, Treecko or Torchic
What is Field Research in Pokemon Go?
Field research missions are acquired one at a time by spinning a PokéStop and will need you to find specific creatures, engage in battles, and do other activities. PokéStops will give you a new mission every day, and each sort of quest can include a variety of prizes ranging from previously Raid-exclusive consumables like TMs and Rare Candy to common goods like Poké Balls.
How to unlock a Research Breakthrough?
To obtain a Research Breakthrough and an encounter with the current month’s Pokemon, complete one Field Research task per day for seven days. The good news is that they don’t have to be on the same day.
When you finish a job, make sure to claim the prize on the Field Research progress page to receive a stamp. Although you can only earn one stamp per day, completed tasks can be kept and claimed at a later time to earn a stamp.
When you have seven stamps, you may collect your Research Breakthrough prize by opening the package at the top of the Field Research progress page.
How to Get Deino in Pokemon Go Research Breakthrough
Dieno is the Research Breakthrough for December 2021, which means you must obtain your seventh Field Research stamp and receive your large reward before the end of the month, or an other Pokemon will take over.
If you obtain a stamp every day in December, you should be able to get up to four Research Breakthroughs, which means you’ll be able to catch four Deino, which is a wonderful method to stock up on Candy to help you evolve it.
Is a Shiny Deino available in Pokemon Go?
The good news is that Shiny Deino is presently available in Pokemon Go, implying that Shiny Hydreigon will be available once evolved. They made their first appearance at Dragon Week in July 2020.
All past Pokemon Go Research Breakthrough rewards
- April 2018: Moltres reward and Fire-themed Field Research
- May 2018: Zapdos reward and Electric-themed Field Research
- June 2018: Articuno reward and Ice / Water-themed Field Research
- July 2018: Snorlax reward and Kanto-themed Field Research
- August 2018: Raikou reward and Electric-themed Field Research
- September 2018: Entei reward and Fire-themed Field Research
- October 2018: Suicune reward and Water-themed Field Research
- November 2018: Shedinja reward and Bug-themed Field Research
- December 2018: Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Entei, Raikou and Suicune reward
- January to February 2019: Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Entei, Raikou, Suicune, Ho-Oh and Lugia reward
- March to April 2019: Entei, Raikou, Suicune, Ho-Oh, Lugia, Regirock, Regice and Registeel reward
- May to June 2019: Ho-Oh, Lugia, Latios and Latias reward
- July to August 2019: Latios, Latias, Kyogre and Groudon reward
- September to October 2019: Flower crown Eevee reward
- November to December 2019: Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Kyogre and Groundon reward
- January 2020: Lapras that knows Ice Shard and Ice Beam
- February 2020: Woobat
- March 2020: Ferroseed
- April 2020: Alolan Exeggutor
- May 2020: Shinx
What is Pokemon Go Special Research?
Special Research differs from Field Research in that it includes tasks that are either story-based or related to an in-game event, such as Go Fest or Valentine’s Day, and normally offer much larger prizes.
While Field Research missions are assigned at random, Special Research quests are the same for all players and frequently result in encounters with Mythical Pokemon like Mewtwo or Meloetta.