Three Americans were found dead in Mexico City from carbon monoxide poisoning
Officials in Mexico City have confirmed that three American visitors died from carbon monoxide poisoning at an Airbnb apartment in the city last month.
According to the investigation conducted by the Attorney General’s Office of Mexico City, the three victims were discovered dead on October 30 at a rental in a residential complex in the La Rosita area.
Poisoning by gas inhalation was initially suspected after security officers at the building noticed a strong gas smell in the flat, according to a statement released this week by the attorney general’s office. Officials stated carbon monoxide poisoning was to blame for the deaths of three Americans, including two men and a woman.
A representative for the attorney general’s office told that investigators found a malfunction in the apartment’s gas boiler, which produced a gas smell and carbon monoxide, a colourless and odourless gas.
A spokeswoman said one of the victims was discovered dead in the bathroom, where they may have been trying to take a shower, which set off the boiler.
A representative from Airbnb verified that the three Americans were staying at one of the properties advertised on the website.
An Airbnb representative told ABC News, “This is a terrible tragedy and our thoughts are with the families and loved ones as they face this heavy loss, Our priority now is to provide support to those affected while the authorities investigate what happened and we are available to cooperate with the investigation in any way we can.”
Three American citizens were killed in Mexico, and the U.S. Embassy has announced it is “closely monitoring” the inquiry into their killings.
“We stand ready to provide all appropriate consular assistance,” it stated in a statement earlier this week. “Out of respect for the privacy of the families, we have nothing further to add at this time.”
There has been no public identification of the victims by either local officials or the U.S. Embassy.
Another American died of carbon monoxide poisoning in a holiday rental in Mexico City late last month, the victim’s family told KGTV (an ABC affiliate in San Diego). Family members told the channel that the woman’s two siblings had also been hospitalised with carbon monoxide poisoning.
Officials in the Bahamas have determined that carbon monoxide poisoning contributed to the deaths of three American visitors who were found dead in May.