What is Instagram ‘Notes’ and How to use it?
If you use Instagram, you might have noticed a new tab at the very top of your inbox.
On December 13th, Instagram announced the release of a new feature called “Notes,” which it called “a new way to share your thoughts and see what your friends are up to.”
The feature is very reminiscent of older instant messaging programmes like AIM and MSN Messenger, and it allows users to quickly and easily share their thoughts and feelings with the world in as few as sixty characters.
If you’ve noticed some notes appearing and want to know how to add your own (or remove them entirely), read on.
How to get the feature, potential reasons why you can’t find the notes on your app, and more are all covered here.
Instagram Notes are brief messages or posts that will be displayed at the top of the inboxes of other users.
“When you post a note, you can select followers who follow you back or your Close Friends list as the audience,” Christine Pai, a spokesperson for Meta (Instagram’s parent company), said
One way to visualise this is as a speech bubble superimposed over your picture or icon in other people’s inboxes. There, you can view not only your own note but also those of your friends and followers.
Instagram Notes are limited to 60 characters and can include text and emojis.
You can write anything you want in an Instagram Note, but some examples are “anyone up for movies” and “today feels great”
For the next 24 hours, your note will be displayed at the top of the inboxes of your friends and followers. Keep in mind that you have complete control over your note and can return to it at any time to make changes or remove it entirely.
Your friends or followers can reply to your note (just as you can to theirs), and the resulting direct messages will show up in your inbox.
A Guide to Instagram Notes
- Check your Instagram direct messages.
- A profile picture or icon representing you will be displayed in the upper left corner, alongside the profiles of other users who have chosen to follow you or who have written you a note.
- To write your own update, just hit the “+” button.
- Create a message using no more than 60 characters. Following 24 hours, the note will automatically disappear.
- You can interact with the notes your friends and followers have posted by clicking on them and then typing a reply into the text box provided. When you respond, it will be delivered to their inbox.
- There is no way to completely disable Instagram Notes. But just like Instagram stories, users can mute specific people whose content they don’t want to see.