Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl: How to Catch Shaymin
Shaymin, the “gratitude Pokemon”, first appeared in Diamond and Pearl in 2006. Hedgehog was kept away in the original games and it appears to be the same in the Sinnoh remakes— Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl. Here’s how to catch Shaymin in BDSP.
How to catch Shaymin in Pokemon BDSP
Currently, Shaymin cannot be caught in the game legitimately. There are files that show you can earn Oak’s Letter from leaks, data mining, and hacking.
This was a Key Item in Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum. “A letter from Professor Oak.” It asks you to go to Route 224.” Follow the directions in the description.
If you’ve already beaten the Elite Four and acquired the National Pokedex, head east on Victory Road. You’ll accompany Marley, a mystery Pokemon trainer. This Victory Road auxiliary exit leads to Route 224.
Follow the Route until you reach this flat stone at the far northern end. Interacting with it now has no effect. If you have Oak’s Letter, a cutscene forming the Seabreak Path will occur. This is a long-distance extension of Route 224. A long, flowery path leads to a place named Flower Paradise.
This is where Shaymin is. It appears at level 30, therefore a weaker party may be required. The last thing you want to do is miss a chance to catch it.
How to catch Shaymin without Oak’s Letter
It includes exploiting a menu flaw in Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl. You shouldn’t do this if you want to get Shaymin legitimately.
In Pokemon BDSP, you can travel to regions that are currently unavailable due to an ongoing issue. Past the Seabreak Path and into Shaymin’s house. This glitch works on the current Pokemon BDSP build (Ver. 1.1.2)
- Get associated with the step layout for the inside of the Pokemon League’s Pokecenter.
- Make sure the quick slots for your Key Items are filled up with items that will bring up the “Professor Rowan’s words echoed” dialogue box.
- Bring up your Poketch.
- Hover your cursor over the HM Fly move.
- Spam the R and A buttons simultaneously.
- If performed correctly, your character should be able to move around while the Town Map is displayed.
- Move up and walk into the Pokemon League Pokecenter while the Town Map is still displayed.
- Make your way into the bottom floor of the Pokecenter.
- Go back up, then outside of the center (you should still be on the Town Map screen).
- Use the right analog stick of your controller to readjust the pointer on the Map so it’s on the top half of the Pokemon League fly area (end of the Victory Road).
- Press A to bring up the dialogue box that reads “Would you like to use Fly to go to the Pokemon League?”.
- Right as the dialogue finishes displaying on the screen, press X to bring up your trainer menu (Pokedex, Pokemon, Bag, Trainer Card, Ball Capsules, etc.).
- If done correctly, your bag menu should be displayed over the Town Map.
- Press A to confirm using Fly.
- Your character can walk around while your Trainer Menu is opened.
- If done correctly, walk towards the body of water with the menu still up, then press the Plus (+) button to bring up your Quick Items, but also the Town Map again.
- Hit B once to get out of the map, bringing you to another overlapped Trainer Menu on top of your Quick Slots.
- Press B once more to get rid of the menu overlay.
- If done correctly, press A at the body of water to Surf.
- Confirm it, while not moving in any direction prior to this.
- Right as you jump onto the Bibarel, press any direction with your left stick that corresponds to an item that will prompt the “Rowan’s words echoed” dialogue box.
- If done correctly, your character should be standing on top of the Bibarel, maintaining their walking animation.
- This allows you to actually walk past the barriers like trees, cliffs, and the waterfall.
- Explore this section in a counterclockwise direction, so you can travel behind the Pokemon League and go straight to Route 224.
You’ll need to practice hitting obstacles in the unrendered dark vacuum. Try landing on the Seabreak Path by getting close to the edge of Route 224. It’ll be pitch black, but if you land correctly, you can travel upwards to Flower Paradise.
This complex method appears to have no bad effects on the game, albeit it can crash abruptly. Of course, using bugs and exploits comes with danger. This is the only way to catch Shaymin in BDSP right now.