Father Dies of Homemade Firework made for Celebration
The family of a 35-year-old man who died in a fireworks explosion is warning people against homemade devices.
Last month, Jesse Owen Thornton of the Puna district in Hawaii died while manufacturing a bottle rocket at home. Early on the morning of May 28th, an explosion happened, severely hurting his hand in addition to damaging his liver, intestines, and rib.
Thornton passed away on May 30 after being hospitalised at Hilo Medical Center and then Queen’s Medical Center in Honolulu.
Jesse’s mom, Vickie Eldridge Fowler, says he was always tinkering with and creating new technologies.
“Jesse was such a creative soul and he was always fascinated with fireworks,” she. “He had been making them on his own here and there throughout life. I don’t know what happened.”
After learning that her son-in-law Jesse had been hurt, Fowler flew from Boise, Idaho to Hawaii to be with him.
She recalled, “We had to wait until the next day for an update,” “(Doctors) said Jesse would make it through the night — and he did for two nights — but it came to a point where you said, ‘That’s enough.'” Jesse was ultimately taken off life support.
A press release published by the Hawaii Police Department indicated that officers uncovered components used for homemade fireworks in Jesse’s residence.
Fowler said her kid was so savvy and careful around fireworks that she rarely worried for his safety. “His motto was, ‘If you want it, you can make it,'” she recounted.
Jesse enjoyed showing his three stepdaughters (ages 15, 10, and 3), as well as his own daughter, how to make chicken cordon bleu. “He was an amazing dad,” Fowler said.
“homemade explosives can pose a particular risk for injury because the people making them often lack knowledge and experience in manufacturing fireworks.” said the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives.
Fowler hopes that by raising awareness, people would think twice before attempting to make or use fireworks.
“Leave it to the professionals,” , she said. “Don’t mess with it. And be careful if you do light up home fireworks. Every year, you hear about people being injured by fireworks and they aren’t worth it.”