How to download Windows 10 for free
When Windows 10 originally launched, getting a free upgrade was as easy as clicking the notification prompt to Get Windows 10. However, things have changed somewhat, particularly with the availability of the new, free update to Windows 11. Unfortunately, Windows 10’s first free upgrade offer expired years ago, and the workaround to obtain Windows 10 for free with assistive technologies also expired shortly after. There are still ways to obtain Microsoft’s most recent operating system without paying a new license fee or breaching any laws, so don’t worry. Unfortunately, Windows 10’s first free upgrade offer expired years ago, and the workaround to obtain Windows 10 for free with assistive technologies also expired shortly after. There are still ways to obtain Microsoft’s most recent operating system without paying a new license fee or breaching any laws, so don’t worry.
An embedded key in prebuilt systems from manufacturers like Acer, Dell, HP, and others is connected to your installed Windows platform by a digital license. These manufacturers previously printed product keys and adhered them to PC labels or placed them into product packaging. Although Microsoft product keys generally only function once, hackers occasionally identify workarounds that allow the use of the same key on several PCs. In order to combat piracy and prevent end users from installing the platform on new devices, Microsoft and OEMs introduced digital licensing in Windows 8. Microsoft, however, also switched Windows 7 on to this technique. Your Microsoft account is used to lock this license. Microsoft’s Windows 10 activation servers will accept Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 keys on your PC if you lawfully acquired them and are no longer using them.
Using the Windows 10 Media Creation tool
Microsoft silently maintains this option so that all users of Windows PCs can use the most recent version, even though the free update program was publicly discontinued in the middle of 2016. Again, you will need to pay for a new Windows 10 Home product key if you don’t already have a valid digital license or product key to receive a free upgrade.
- Visit Microsoft’s download Windows 10 page as your first step to get a free Windows 10 upgrade.
- Click the icon to download the tool now.
- Start using the media creation tool.
- Open it once it has been downloaded, then agree to Microsoft’s conditions.
- Choose the Upgrade this PC now option, then adhere to the instructions. The program will check your computer to see whether it is compatible and may list any problematic software or hardware that might prevent the upgrade from going through. To address the installer’s concerns, uninstall programs if necessary.
- When all problems are fixed, the installer will attempt to transfer as much data as it can. However, keep in mind that there is a significant difference in the applications you use between Windows 7 and Windows 10. You definitely have a lot of data stored in files and programs if you’re abandoning Windows 7 after using it for a long time. All files and apps may not be compatible with Windows 10 and some may cease to function.
- Prior to upgrading, it is critical to be aware of this and to plan. Before moving forward, backup or convert any important data.
- Complete installation.
- Your computer will restart a few times as the installation process continues. You won’t need to activate it because it will automatically pull your current digital license from your hardware during setup. If a valid product key is requested, enter it right away or enter it later by going to Settings > Update & security > Activation.
- Additionally, you’ll get the same version of Windows—Home, Pro, Enterprise, or Education—that came with your PC at first. You need to buy a new product key if you prefer to use Windows 10 Pro over the Windows 10 Home update.