Florida: Man Dies from Eating Raw Oysters
A guy died after eating an oyster that was “one in a billion.”
The man got sick from an oyster he ate at Rustic Inn Crabhouse in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. It was reported in the South Florida Sun-Sentinel that he became ill with Vibrio.
There was “that one in a billion that was bad,” as Gary Oreal put it. ‘I feel horrible.’
According to Oreal, no other patron of the restaurant has ever experienced such a tragic event.
“We have served a couple billion oysters over the past 60 years and we have never had anyone get sick like this guy did,” he claimed.
Oreal stated that the kitchen had been inspected by the state Department of Health following the event and was received ‘with flying colors’. He issued a cautionary note about oyster consumption, but acknowledged that many seafood eaters would continue to enjoy them nonetheless.
‘Oysters are tip of the mountain for dangerous foods to eat,’ he said. ‘I have eaten them my entire life, and will continue. But you are putting yourself at risk when you do it.’
It seems that the man used to work in the eatery back when it first opened.
Broward County’s medical examiner has confirmed that the body found in a parking lot belongs to Roger ‘Rocky’ Pinckney and that he tested positive for oxycodone, opioids, and cannabis. Vibrio was also found in his blood
Pinckney’s passing marks the second case this month in which a Floridian has been fatally affected after consuming raw oysters.
It was reported in the Pensacola News Journal that Rodney Jackson, director of business engagement at the Studer Community Institute, contracted Vibrio after eating oysters he had purchased from Maria’s Fresh Seafood Market. On August 9, he passed away.
According to a report in the New York Post, both Jackson and the mystery man dined on oysters that originated in Louisiana.
According to the CDC’s website, Vibriosis infections are more common when temperatures are high. To a lesser extent than more serious complications, the infection typically produces vomiting and diarrhoea. According to the CDC, however, incidences of Vibrosis can occur at any time of year.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) claims, “An oyster that contains harmful bacteria does not look, smell, or taste different from any other oyster.”