Chris Redd was hospitalized following a New York City attack
It was reported on October 26 that the former Saturday Night Live performer had been attacked in New York City and brought to a nearby hospital.
The NYPD has confirmed to E! News that at 9:40 p.m., a 37-year-old man was struck in the face outside the Comedy Cellar in Manhattan’s Greenwich Village. As a result of his facial wounds, the man was sent to Bellevue Hospital. No suspects have been apprehended and the investigation is still ongoing, according to police.
Photos acquired by TMZ purport to show Chris receiving medical attention for his bleeding injuries. At this time, the comedian’s prognosis is unknown.
The premiere of the 37-year-new old’s comedy special, Why Am I Like This?, on HBO Max on November 3 comes days after this occurrence.
“14 years of hustle…countless amount of shows,” he wrote on Instagram while teasing his special, “Years of running around doing dumb s–t…
and being almost scandal free all lead to this!!”
The comic had previously spent five years on the SNL cast. Chris said in September that he would not be back for Season 48.
He said “Being a part of SNL has been the experience of a lifetime, Five years ago, I walked into 30 Rock knowing that this was an amazing opportunity for growth. Now, with friends who have become family and memories I will cherish forever, I’m grateful to Lorne Michaels and to the entire SNL organization.”
Chris’s time on the show was highlighted by his memorable portrayals of Barack Obama and Kanye West. Also in 2018, he received an Emmy for Outstanding Original Music and Lyrics for his work on the song “Come Back Barack.”